Innovative Surfaces And Materials To Modernize Your Home
Whether in the planning stages to build a brand new home or are looking for renovation ideas to modernize your home, among the first things to consider are the surfaces and materials used for the interior and exterior of the house. From complete overhauls to minor tweaks, today’s modern home utilizes innovative designs and processes to create surfaces out of materials that look great, are functional, and serve to increase the overall value of your property.
Homebuilding and renovation designs have evolved and improved with the advancement of technology and processes. Today’s options for innovative surfaces and materials to modernize your home are limitless.
The type of materials used for remodeling or home construction projects varies depending on the type of job, financial constraints, and personal preferences. Selecting the materials for use on the various surfaces to make your home modern and comfortable can be a daunting and stressful task.
Insulated concrete form, or ICF, construction uses large concrete blocks framed by steel rebar to form exterior walls that provide cost-efficient insulation, and a durable structure designed to protect your home, your family, and your valuables.
Among the features and benefits of using ICF block construction on your home include:
- Energy Efficient – The main reason ICF methods have become a popular choice for modern homebuilders is sustainable construction and increased energy efficiency. The large amounts of concrete used in the process give your home high thermal insulation properties without the need for additional insulation and may even allow for the downsizing of HVAC systems. ICF properties are known for their net zero building properties — meaning the amount of energy used by the building is equal to the amount of renewable energy created on-site.
- Structural Integrity – ICF blocks are durable and extremely resistant to moisture, insect infestation, and other issues, offering long-term protection to the integrity of the structure. Steel ties interlock within the walls of ICF blocks to create a solid structure that will hold up under the pressure of a tornado, hurricane, or other extreme weather events.
- Acoustic Insulation – The thermal insulation created by ICF offers excellent soundproofing qualities, making it ideal for sound studios or movie theaters.
Fiber Cement Siding
Fiber cement siding is a durable and oftentimes less expensive alternative to wood and vinyl siding materials. Fiber cement panels for siding are built from cement, sand and wood fibers, making it resistant to deterioration and impervious to insect infestation. After years of design and manufacturing adjustments, the fiber cement siding of today is low-maintenance, impact-resistant, and available in a wide range of styles and colors.
Benefits of installing fiber cement siding on your home include:
- Longer lifespan
- Versatility of options for colors, shapes, and textures
- Fire and heat resistant
- Reasonably weather-resistant
- Moisture resistant
- Minimal maintenance required
- Approved for historic building renovations
Natural stone countertop surfaces have become the most popular choice for modern kitchen construction and remodeling projects. Engineered quartz, however, has stronger resistance to stains or corrosion than natural stone, meaning resealing and maintenance is not needed. Quartz countertops offer a wide range of design and edging options to suit your needs and tastes. One trending design that homeowners are leaning in to is the waterfall edge countertop style.
With their rising popularity, quartz countertops are becoming more affordable as they become an essential element of any modern home.
Distressed Hardwood Flooring
The increase of wood flooring in modern homes brings to mind the adage that “everything old is new again.” A distressed hardwood floor is made to give your home a classic, traditional look. Previously used with more rustic or country homes, the natural richness and warmth hardwood flooring provides is now more commonly being used in more upscale, modern design plans.
Dark tones are coming back into style, so adding some grey wood flooring will add character to your home while increasing your property value. This style pays homage to a time of hand-craftsmanship and improves on the old with advances.
Modernizing your home is an investment that will yield high returns. A modern, upgrades home constructed with durable, high-quality materials increases property values as well as saves money in potentially costly repairs over time.
Matt Lee is the owner of the Innovative Construction and Building Materials blog and a content writer for the building materials industry. He is focused on helping fellow homeowners, contractors, and architects discover materials and methods of construction that save money, improve energy efficiency, and increase property value.